top of page

Micro Monday Review #137 Fremont Michief Canal Street Bourbon

Distillery: Unknown, Imported from Canada

Proof: 90

Age: NAS

Mashbill: 51% Corn, the remaining 49% is undisclosed

BACKGROUND: Fremont Mischief is a craft spirit distillery in Seattle, WA in the Fremont district founded by Mike Sherlock. Mike was a commercial fisherman, designer & builder of high-speed skiffs, fishing boats, and factories. He also spent time designing & building craftsman-inspired houseboats, which several have been featured on Discovery, Travel, and HGTV channels. Fremont Mischief makes bourbon, rye whiskey, gin and vodka. Canal Street Bourbon is a new bourbon from them that was brought to market in September 2020. We struggled to find a lot of information about this whiskey but according to the bottle is is imported by Fremont Mischief and is a product of Canada which leads us to believe it was sourced from a distillery in Canada before being blended by Fremont.

NOSE: A very light and classic bourbon nose with scents of vanilla, young oak, light berry, butterscotch, and sweet corn. The nose has a youthfulness to it but is still enjoyable and easy to nose. (19/25)

PALATE: Like the nose, the palate is light and sweet. It is corn forward along with vanilla, young oak, and some very light floral notes. The whiskey has a nice creaminess to it and some copper tang. (29/40)

FINISH: The finish is medium in length and has some pepper, and young oak. Like the rest of the whiskey, it has a lightness attributable to the proof that allows it to go down nice and smooth. (20/25)

VALUE: Canal Street Bourbon has an SRP of $45. When you factor in the import costs and sourcing costs it makes sense. (6/10)

Overall: 74/100

FINAL THOUGHTS: Fremont Mischief is an easy drinking bourbon whiskey with classic bourbon flavors. Attributable to the proof, it is a lighter drinking whiskey with some youthful characteristics to it.

Similar & Slightly Better Whiskey: Black Maple Hills Purple Label

Similar & Equal Whiskey: Blue Spirit Bourbon

Similar & Slightly Worse Whiskey: Wild Turkey Longbranch

Tell us what you think and give us some feedback!

Scoring Legend:

96-100: The perfect dram, juice of the gods

90-95: Near perfect, truly incredible whiskey

85-89: Amazing whiskey, will always try to keep a backup bottle of this

80-84: Very good, some minor flaws here or there

75-79: Good, quite enjoyable to drink, Will try and keep a bottle on the shelf

70-74: Solid, wouldn’t go out of my way to get this

60-69: Decent, would offer this up to non whiskey drinkers

50-59: Not my cup of tea

Below 50: Give away

92 views0 comments


bottom of page